Today is the 40th anniversary of the release of The Stooges' seminal album Raw Power. Although not initially commercially successful, it gained a cult following in the years following its release and is widely considered an influential forerunner of punk rock. The iconic album sleeve featured a Mick Rock photograph of Iggy that has since become synonymous with the period.
In celebration of the anniversary, Foruli is proud to publish six strictly limited edition art prints created in collaboration with Iggy and Mick, and individually hand signed by them both.
Mick has identified a series of rare photographs from his archive, and the images have been reproduced on metallic paper as archival quality giclee prints overlaid with hand-printed extracts from lyric sheets for the songs "Raw Power" and "Death Trip." The lyric sheets have been especially prepared by Iggy exclusively for Foruli.
The prints are available in two sizes: Editions of only 10 of each design are available as large format prints and editions of 60 are available as standard format prints.
More information about the Iggy Pop prints can be found by visiting www.foruli.co.uk/artprints.
This is awesome! So many of you kept asking and finally we know the date:
DVD with the Tribute to Ron Asheton show from 2011 will be coming out on April 9, 2013!
It was an amazing and very emotional night for all involved and we all hope you will like the result.
Ron, you are missed by so many.
The DVD is available for pre-order now at MVD Entertainment.
- I Got a Right (with Henry Rollins)
- Raw Power
- Search and Destroy
- Gimme Danger
- Shake Appeal
- L.A. Blues
- Night Theme
- Beyond the Law
- Fun House
- Open Up And Bleed
- Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
- I Wanna Be Your Dog
- TV Eye
- Real Cool Time
- Iggy's Speech
- Ron's Tune
- No Fun
Iggy Pop is one of the artists who have contributed to the new two-disc collection, Son of Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys, available February 19th. Stereogum writes: "In its two discs, the comp only has one track as delightfully titled as “Asshole Rules The Navy.” On that song, an actual old seafaring tune, Iggy Pop teams up with Albuquerque gypsy-folk duo a Hawk And A Hacksaw and cusses a bunch. I would’ve thought it hilarious when I was 10."
The full track listing is available here.
Iggy and the Stooges have announced two additional concert dates this summer! The band will headline the Ink-N-Iron Festival in Long Beach, CA on June 8th, with ticket information available at Ink-N-Iron.com. The band also will perform at Parc de Valmy in Argelès-Sur-Mer, France on July 9th! Ticket information is available at Fnac.com.
Iggy and the Stooges have confirmed that they will perform at the INmusic Festival in Zagreb, Croatia on June 24th. Ticket information is available at INmusicFestival.com.
Get ready to see Iggy and the Stooges headline the Garorock Festival in Marmande, France! The festival runs from June 28th to June 30th next year, and three-day passes are available at a reduced rate exclusively at Digitik.com. The band will perform on June 30th.
In addition, Iggy and the Stooges have confirmed two scheduled performances in Italy! The band will play Rock in Roma at the Ippodromo delle Capannelle in Rome, Italy on July 4th. Visit RockinRoma.com for information on where to buy tickets. Iggy and the Stooges also will perform at City Sound at the Ippodromo del Galoppo di S.Siro in Milan, Italy on July 11th. Tickets can be purchased at LiveNation.it beginning on December 20th.
Celebrations are starting early! Foruli is publishing limited edition Raw Power art prints signed by Iggy Pop and photographer Mick Rock, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the album release. They're available to order at Foruli.co.uk.
Pirates of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp has drafted Tom Waits, Keith Richards, Patti Smith, Courtney Love, Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, and more for an upcoming 36-song compilation album featuring covers of traditional pirate songs. The two-disc collection, Son of Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys, is a sequel to 2006's Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys, which Depp put together with record producer Hal Willner and Pirates director Gore Verbinski. Next year's entry will wash ashore on February 19 via ANTI-, which also released the original Rogue's Gallery.
Son of Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys track list:
1. Shane MacGowan: "Leaving of Liverpool" (ft. Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski)
2. Robyn Hitchcock: "Sam's Gone Away"
3. Beth Orton: "River Come Down"
4. Sean Lennon: "Row Bullies Row" (ft. Jack Shit)
5. Tom Waits: "Shenandoah" (ft. Keith Richards)
6. Ivan Neville: "Mr Stormalong"
7. Iggy Pop: "Asshole Rules the Navy" (ft. A Hawk and a Hacksaw)
8. Macy Gray: "Off to Sea Once More"
9. Ed Harcourt: "The Ol' OG"
10. Shilpa Ray: "Pirate Jenny" (ft. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis)
11. Patti Smith and Johnny Depp: "The Mermaid"
12. Chuck E Weiss: "Anthem for Old Souls"
13. Ed Pastorini: "Orange Claw Hammer"
14. The Americans: "Sweet and Low"
15. Robin Holcomb and Jessica Kenny: "Ye Mariners All"
16. Gavin Friday and Shannon McNally: "Tom's Gone to Hilo"
17. Kenny Wollesen and The Himalayas Marching Band: "Bear Away"
1. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: "Handsome Cabin Boy"
2. Michael Stipe and Courtney Love: "Rio Grande"
3. Marc Almond: "Ship in Distress"
4. Dr. John: "In Lure of the Tropics"
5. Todd Rundgren: "Rolling Down to Old Maui"
6. Dan Zanes: "Jack Tar on Shore" (ft. Broken Social Scene)
7. Sissy Bounce (Katey Red and Big Freedia): "Sally Racket" (ft. Akron/Family)
8. Broken Social Scene: "Wild Goose"
9. Marianne Faithfull: "Flandyke Shore" (ft. Kate and Anna McGarrigle)
10. Ricky Jay: "The Chantey of Noah and his Ark (Old School Song)"
11. Michael Gira: "Whiskey Johnny"
12. Petra Haden: "Sunshine Life for Me" (ft. Lenny Pickett)
13. Jenni Muldaur: "Row the Boat Child"
14. Richard Thompson: "General Taylor" (ft. Jack Shit)
15. Tim Robbins: "Marianne" (ft. Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs)
16. Kembra Phaler: "Barnacle Bill the Sailor (ft. Antony, Joseph Arthur, and Foetus)
17. Anjelica Huston: "Missus McGraw" (ft. The Weisberg Strings)
18. Iggy Pop and Elegant Too: "The Dreadnought"
19. Mary Margaret O'Hara: "Then Said the Captain to Me (Two Poems of the Sea)"
Read more at SPIN.com.
Iggy Pop has contributed an essay for the new book, 101 Essential Rock Records: The Golden Age Of Vinyl, From The Beatles To The Sex Pistols, available in hardcover now. Iggy shares his thoughts on two records -- Them's The Angry Young Them and The Mothers Of Invention's Freak Out! Also in the book, Johnny Marr contributes an essay about his love for The Stooges' Raw Power, which is included in the list of 101 Essential Rock Records along with The Stooges album. Here is an excerpt from Iggy's essay:
The first time I saw The Mothers I was opening for them; it was the second or third gig the Stooges had ever done, so I remembered us more than them. I think playing with them so early in our career pushed me to be weirder faster, and also to be stranger to look at, earlier than I would have been otherwise. That night I did my first stage dive. I knew the Mothers were on after us, and I didn't want people to forget about us.
Iggy and the Stooges are set to perform next year at the Blues’n’Roots Festival on March 23rd in Perth, Australia, and at Stora Scenen pa Liseberg on June 26th in Goteborg, Sweden. You can visit each website for more details.
This weekend, Iggy Pop presented Joan Jett -- a longtime animal rights activist -- with PETA's Nanci Alexander Activist Award. Iggy told the New Times, "I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm evolved eater and have been aware of these sorts of issues since the '60s. I came out today because I'm a huge fan of Joan and I really want to show my support. When they asked, there was no way I wasn't going to attend." Jett also unveiled her new PETA ad as part of a campaign to spread awareness of vegetarianism.
Read more at the Broward Palm Beach New Times.
Photo credit: Mavrixonline.com
Iggy and the Stooges have confirmed that they will perform at next year's Peace And Love Festival in Borlänge, Sweden on June 28th! More information about the festival and tickets can be found at PeaceandLove.se.